Monday, August 27, 2012

Plans Derailed


My plan today was to blog about a half marathon that I signed up for and announce my training plan as a way to make sure that I stuck to it.  Earlier this year, when I did the 10K Run Streak, one of the things that actually kept me going was the fact that so many people would ask me "did you get your gold star today?"  So, I thought that if I announced on this blog that I was going to run a half marathon at the Melbourne Marathon in October, that it would help me stay on track with my training!  But then.. I went to the website to sign up today.. and the half is sold out.  Wah wah.  

Obviously, this half marathon and I weren't meant to be, but I still signed up for the 10K, just so that I can run a race in Australia.  And I'm still going to document the training plan I had created in my head, and hopefully I will still stick to it anyway.  I only planned out my long runs for each week, with the assumption that I would run a few times during the week as well.  So here it is:

September 1 - run 7 miles
September 9 - run SAFRA 10K
September 15 - run 8 miles
September 22 - run 9 miles
September 29 - run 10 miles
October 5 - run 5 miles
October 14 - run Melbourne Marathon 10K

I tweeted last week that I did 6 miles on the treadmill on Thursday night, and you may recall that I ran 5 miles a couple of weeks ago.  So hopefully this non-scientific training plan of mine works.  But if anyone has feedback or suggestions.. please let me know!

So aside from my racing plans being derailed, I dealt with another small snafu over the weekend.  I was supposed to be meeting Kelly and Dave in Hong Kong on Friday night, but there was a slight hiccup in some travel plans which meant that Kelly wouldn't get to Hong Kong until Sunday night, which was when I was flying back to Penang.  

I was SO sad not to be able to see her this weekend, but I actually had an awesome time in Hong Kong!  Dave met two guys from the Baltimore office in the hotel gym, so I spent Saturday exploring the city with them.  It was nice because they had been in HK all week and were already familiar with some of the basic geography and public transport options.


Wandered the streets, including Nathan Road


Popped into a tailor to browse

Jade Market

Jade Market


Riding the giant escalators to Soho

Going to see Hong Kong from 100 stories up


It was a little cloudy.. but still incredible


Sunday, I headed out some exploring on my own before having a late lunch and packing up.  All in all, a really great weekend. 

Back on the streets.. typical



Does this need to be refrigerated??

Took the Peak Tram up to the top


Victoria Peak

Victoria Peak

Victoria Peak


No comments:

Post a Comment